November 12-16, 2012
“The Spaulding Group’s webinars are a cost effective way to train and keep my staff up to date on topics related to performance measurement, attribution, risk and GIPS. The online convenience allows us to train all of our staff without the hassle and expense of travel. It also provides us with an opportunity to get together and ask questions from industry experts
that we would not otherwise have access to.”
-Cinda Whitten, Director of Investment Operations at Principal Global Investors
November 12, 2012 - 11:00 AM (EST)
A Framework for the Risk Management of Hedge Funds
John Longo, Ph.D., CFA - Rutgers University
- How hedge fund risk management differs from long only
- How we should manage risk with limited transparency
- Evaluate the risk management measures for hedge funds
November 13, 2012 - 11:00 AM (EST)
Value at Risk (VaR)
Ben Sopranzetti, Ph.D., CPA - Rutgers University
- What is value at risk?
- Variance-Covariance method, historical simulation, or Monte Carlo simulation?
- Limitations of VaR
- Extensions of VaR
November 14, 2012 - 11:15 AM (EST)
Philippe Gregoire, Ph.D., Orfival
- Contribution to volatility or the tracking error
- How to explain the differences between teh risk level of the portfolio and the benchmark; diversification and/or selectivity
- Multi-factor models in risk attribution
November 15, 2012 - 11:00 AM (EST)
A Client's Perspective on Risk:Why Managing Risk is Crucial to Meeting the Client's Goals
Stephen Campisi, CFA - US Trust
- A look at risk in terms of meeting client financial goals using both forward and backward looking approaches.
- A shift from examining returns only to examining risk in terms of money and the client's view of "success"
- A long-term view of the risk and return inherent in the investment decision making process
- A look at traditional risk measures, with insights gained from looking at the “pattern” of risk over time
- Why this is the future of Performance and Risk
November 16, 2012 - 12:00 Noon (EST)
Risk Adjusted Measures
John D. Simpson, CIPM - The Spaulding Group
- Clarifying: Risk Measures vs Risk-adjusted performance measures
- Getting to the real meaning: comparing and contrasting Sharpe, Sortino, Information ratio and other measures
- Risk adjusted measures for hedge funds
In 2011, The Spaulding Group held a week long web based conference dedicated to Attribution titled Attribution Week. Topics included: A primer on attribution with Stephen Campisi, fixed income with John D. Simpson, multi-currency with Mark Elliott, risk attribution from Jose Menchero and attribution odds and ends with David Spaulding.
This year our focus will turn to risk and will be held the week of November 12th and will cover a primer on portfolio risk, ex-post statistics, risk attribution, understanding risk and its relation to return, and risk management.